Family was in town for the holiday weekend, people from 2 different sides of the family came to our small town to partake in July 4th festivities.
It was kind of madness and kind of awesome all at once.
I love my wife's family to death, in fact I don't tend to think of them as my wife's family, they are as much my own family as are the ones I grew up with. They are a loving bunch of people, extremely hospitable, fun natured and a blast to hang out with.
::coughkissasscough::
The wife and I played dominoes with them this weekend and it was my first time ever. My wife explained the mechanics of the game and I looked off into space trying to remember the maximum warp speed of the enterprise totally listened and gave my complete attention. My turn came around and all I knew was that I had some dominos in front of me and a lot of people waiting for me to do something, I grabbed what I thought was a good looking domino, it had some dots on it that corresponded to a number and that number seemed to match other pieces on the table and I placed it on the table in triumph. The sigh that escaped my wife's lips told me it was not a triumph.
Honestly, Matt. It’s basically counting. Really? Really, you couldn’t figure it out?
It is not JUST counting, that is what I thought but then all of a sudden people started busting out pennies... and counting is hard sometimes!
Wife-”Weren't you paying attention”?
Me-(trying to think of an excuse and failing) “...no”
I don’t even know why I asked. I’ll back up and say It’s really not completely his fault. My family has this awesome tendency to all want to help. And by help, I mean talk. So, regardless of who starts talking or explaining rules, within moments you have 5 other people explaining the parts they felt you didn’t address fast enough. It’s miraculous he even knew what game we were playing.
I love my wife for what she did after that, instead of sending me off to the other room and not allowing me to play at the big kid's table she quieted the table and chastised THEM for being too loud and disruptive while she was explaining the rules, I showed her my appreciation by listening very intently during the second run through and after the first round I got it and really started developing my own strategy. Putting my winning strategy to work was when I realized I must have not heard a few of the rules.
Excerpt from the Dominoes: Mexican Train rule book.
This should actually read: How to play any game with your wife.
Rule 8 - Do not for any reason play a domino that will interfere with your wife's next turn.
You can easily replace domino with card, monopoly piece, etc.
Rule 9 – Do not be happy when you win, you winning means your wife lost and therefore you did NOT win.
It’s funny you know the rules now. After the fact. It’s like you forget everything I’ve ever taught you.
It's not my fault that my species is hard to train.
Rule 10 – It is polite and reasonable for your wife to help an opponent in need, it is however considered treason and akin to domestic terrorism if you help out her sweet grandmother instead of her.
This is true when said sweet grandmother is purposely trying to destroy your wife.
Rule 11 – Even though you are playing separate from your wife you are on her team.
That’s just life, baby. Do you not want to be on my team anymore?
In all fairness though I had a great time playing with my wife and her family. Weekends like this help strengthen our marriage, there is something therapeutic about sitting at a table with parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles.
Sometimes I think you have selective amnesia, specifically blocking out the moments where you quietly whisper, “When are we leaving?” and let out the sigh that only I can hear letting me know that you are ready to go and I am wearing on your nerves.
The sighs are only for when I catch you delightedly stirring the drama pot.
Seeing her grandparents who have been married for over 50 years makes me realize how lucky I am and how much I am looking forward to the next 50 years with my wife. In life just as in dominoes your spouse will sometimes be your opponent but no matter what you are always on the same team and will share victories together.
Dear Matt,
I love you, but you are a big cheeseball sometimes.
<3 Me
P.S. We won’t make it 50 years unless you eat more vegetables and less cheetos. Just thought I would put that out in the universe.
P.P.S. Potatoes don’t count.
Potatoes DO count and you will eat your words when Frito Lay decides to put ads on our blog, my love for cheetos will pay, I'm telling you!
No comments:
Post a Comment